Refresh or remodel, what is your kitchen telling you?
Many homeowners dreaming of a kitchen makeover don’t know where to start. As a result, the kitchen makeover never gets off the ground, and if it does, problems arise at each step of the process turning your kitchen dreams into a kitchen nightmare. To be successful, you need a plan. For full kitchen remodeling, small kitchen renovations, affordable kitchen remodels, and small kitchen remodels, formulating a plan begins with doing your homework. If you are looking at your kitchen now and it is screaming back to you “makeover,” you are ready to take the next step, do your homework. By diving into the homework steps highlighted in this blog, homeowners should be able to formulate a solid kitchen makeover plan. But, if you are still stuck with a remodeling plan you don’t feel comfortable with, contact Uniquely Yours Home today for a hassle-free home remodel consultation at 763-458-9710. Uniquely Yours Home is your local interior decorator, home remodel consultant, and we offer home staging services. The remodeling homework steps outlined below have helped our home remodeling consulting services customers, and could be applied universally to home staging, and interior decorating in general. Plus, the DYI remodeler and homeowners working with a remodeling contractor can equally use the steps below to plan and uncover the best kitchen remodel ideas for your kitchen makeover.
#1 Do your Homework to Uncover a Remodeling Plan
• Get out a piece of paper and ask yourself these three questions:
1. Is the current kitchen working for me?
2. What is your current kitchen missing?
3. What do I like about this current kitchen?
Write down everything that comes to mind.
There are a few contributing factors to think about as well, what stage of life are you currently in? If you are an empty nester couple, you may not need a breakfast bar (if you have one,) or a six-chair kitchen table. In this situation, an affordable kitchen remodel or a small kitchen remodel is probably your best bet. On the other end of the spectrum, if your family is growing, or if you plan to host regular dinner parties, you probably need more space. In this case, you probably want to consider a full range of kitchen remodel ideas. Lastly, decide if your home is your “forever home” or just your “home for now.”This will help you determine a remodeling budget. For example, if your family is growing and you plan to live in your home until the kids are out of high school, it probably makes sense to invest in your kitchen remodeling project. See a before and after kitchen remodeling project below.
• Is your kitchen makeover a “refresh” or a complete remodel? If a lack of space and function are not driving your kitchen makeover, it might be the outdated paint, light fixtures, countertops, appliances, cabinet color, etc. In this case, you are probably looking at a refresh kitchen remodel. But, even if you need more space or a different function for your kitchen, you should explore paint colors, light fixtures, countertops, cabinet colors, and appliances to pull off the kitchen ambiance you are looking for.
• Visually source the new look you want for your kitchen. Pinterest is a great place to start. Keep in mind you do not need to love everything on a Pinterest pin. Just one kitchen remodel idea from a DIY, interior decorator, or home interior designer can be taken from many completed kitchen remodels to pull together what works for you. For kitchen remodel ideas, check out the Uniquely Yours Home Pinterest page.
#2 Take Inventory of your Kitchen and Declutter!
Assuming you put in the time doing your homework in step #1, by decluttering your kitchen, your vision for your kitchen remodel should come into focus. Many times, clutter in your kitchen is a major pain point that you cannot see past in your subconscious mind. Removing clutter helps you best see the elements in your kitchen you want to be changed, like paint color, light fixtures, etc.
• Go through all the items in your kitchen and remove the ones that you no longer need or use. For items that you use once or twice every couple of months, like a mixer, give it a permanent home off the countertop.
• Make a list of essential things you may need in your kitchen.
• Make a list of things you want; do you want new glasses or dishes? Now is the time, the best part of a kitchen remodel is the newness it brings to a space, why not extend that to behind the doors and drawers within?
#3 Shop Ahead of Time and Price Out Kitchen Items
• Shop ahead of time to keep your kitchen remodel on time and on budget. Lead times these days are crazy. It is so important to find appliance dimensions first, especially the refrigerator, before buying one.
• Choose timeless finishes to extend the life of your kitchen remodel, like brushed nickel, chrome, and bronze.
• When in doubt, source it out, if you are a DIY’er and have bitten off more than you can chew, contact Uniquely Yours Home today for a hassle-free home remodel consultation at 763-458-9710.
If you are considering a kitchen remodel, doing your homework will help you plan and get it started. The ideas we shared in this blog can be used by the DIY remodeler and homeowners working with a remodeling contractor equally. If you invest time on the homework, fine-tuning your home remodeling ideas, and sourcing, you should be able to visualize and realize your kitchen makeover. It is worth getting it right in terms of time and staying within a budget. But, if you need help remodeling your kitchen, we offer the best kitchen remodeling ideas. Contact Uniquely Yours Home today for a hassle-free home remodel consultation at 763-458-9710.